Saturday, December 23, 2017

Vanderbilt reunion: From Music City to Mugar Cafe!


Jessica Daniels, sites.tufts.edu

uncaptioned image from entry

Excerpt:
Laurie gets the credit for the topic of today’s post. She had learned that two of our new students were friends from their undergraduate days. One of the two, John, is an Admissions Graduate Assistant, who told us, “Courtney and I met during our freshman year at Vanderbilt University and remained friends throughout our time in Nashville. After graduation, we went our separate ways and fell out of touch. Three years later, we were surprised to find ourselves together again in the MALD program at The Fletcher School!” I asked John and Courtney to interview each other, and today’s post is the result.

John Zeleznak: We knew each other mostly through Model UN at Vandy, but we actually met first semester in a first-year writing seminar.

Courtney Hulse: That’s right! But it was a math class. ....

JZ: That’s pretty great. So what solidified Fletcher as your top choice?

CH: I loved how interdisciplinary it is. I’ve always been interested in the places where academic fields overlap. In undergrad, I used political science and anthropology to look at how different cultures interact with each other and to understand public diplomacy. I wanted to do more of that type of work in grad school. I also loved how welcoming everyone is. When I visited, the students I met treated me like their friend. The Fletcher alumni I met shared fond memories, and it was wonderful to hear that they are still in touch with the with the people they met at Fletcher. That element of community was something that I really valued and wanted to be a part of. ...

No comments: